Friday, June 17, 2011

Summer Skiing

Hello, blog readers.  I said I would write about a hike in Washington...but I left that coast without downloading the relevant photos, and I cannot currently find the battery charger for my camera, so I have no interesting photos for you.  A shame; there was much talus in that set of photographs.  Now, either I get to post a boring and pictureless essay about a hike you cannot visualize, or I can post something entirely different.  I will post about my intense ski craving!


These years when I get ski cravings in June are always tough.  It is just So Very Long until late November, and these cravings persist.  Really, it is a problem.


So, my thoughts naturally turn to summer skiing.  I hear you can do that in the southern hemisphere.  Or in the far, far North.  For example, here is Las Leñas, in Argentina:



It comes with its own wintery ski village, and its season is June-October.


Seems cozy.  It would suffice.  Or hey, Whistler Blackcomb is open 11am-1:30pm each day.  That is basically no time, but on the other hand, just thinking about the words "Whistler Blackcomb" makes me want to go buy plane tickets.  Whistler in the summer, people:


Alright, fine, I may have a problem.  And maybe I shouldn't buy plane tickets to Whistler for only 2.5 hours of skiing each day.  (Round trip airfare to Vancouver is about $500 right now.  Yes, I checked.)  I will resign myself to feeling uncomfortably nostalgic for skiing from now until late November.  In the meantime, I will post this photo of my last ski trip, to Mount Sunapee in New Hampshire:


Feel free to click on it for the larger view, because many-pixel ski photos are great.  I will also post this photo of my amazing and wonderful skis:


Mine are the excellent black-and-orange ones in the middle.

Sigh.  You know, some of you people out there could convince me to block off a week of my summer for a ski vacation... until then, back to work I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment