Sunday, July 11, 2010

Photos of the outdoor climb

A couple weeks ago, I posted about my experience rock climbing.  I finally got some photos from one of the guys I went climbing with, so I thought I'd share them here.  Photos of the climb are courtesy of Michael Collins.

Here are a couple pictures of me climbing the easy 5.4 or 5.5 climb.


And a bit further in the climb:


The thing on my back is my chalk bag!  It keeps me from slipping off the rock due to sweaty hands.

This is the chimney that I was talking about climbing.  It was rated a 5.7.  I love to climb chimneys:



The manly leg in the photos is, of course, not mine.  The cool thing about the chimney climb is that you could brace yourself on the back wall from time to time, giving you something to push off of as a counterbalance.

Finally, here is a photo of me climbing my Great Nemesis of the day, the difficult 5.8:


You can see me as the tiny little person at the top of the wall.  (Proof I got up there!)  This photo does a good job of illustrating one of the things I love about rock climbing.  That wall does not look like a natural thing for humans to be climbing -- humans are not supposed to climb up walls like geckos!  It's really cool to do something that is just not quite normal for bipedal mammals.

The rope on the left of that photo was the rope for the chimney climb.

Finally, here is a photo of Angela, our trip leader, trying to work past a tough move with a crazy undercling:


This is where we climbed.  Pretty. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment