Friday, August 12, 2011

A Plan!

As many of you know, I live in New England but am originally from the Portland, Oregon.  I spend a lot of time longing for the tall, snow-capped mountains of the Pacific Northwest, but I'm stuck with these dinky little things instead.  Now, after 6 years of living here, I do finally like these dinky little hills for their own sake.  They have their own unique beauty, especially in the Fall, and the crunch of leaves under my feet as I walk through a deciduous forest brings back nostalgia for some wonderful hikes I've had on this coast.

That being said, the Appalachians...


...are not the Cascades.


In order to deal with this discrepancy, I have devised a cunning plan.  I shall take a small, well-hiked hill, Mount Monadnock:


And then I will climb it in the winter!  And no, not like November or December.  It must be climbed in the January/February chills.


It's looking better already!


(from David Albeck)

I'm pretty excited.  This is one of the best hiking ideas I've had in a while.  Best part: as long as the weather's okay, you can get through this without much equipment.  I'll probably bring an ice axe and crampons, but that's mostly just so that I have an excuse to buy an ice axe and crampons.  You have to spend your REI dividend somewhere.

I've gotten a friend, Alex Khripin, to say he'd be up for climbing this in the winter.  See, Alex, now it's been published on a blog, it's official.

(By the way, go check out his blog at Unwholesome Foods.  It is fascinating and occasionally disgusting.)

After Monadnock in the winter, perhaps some winter camping is the next step?  Could I camp on a New England mountain in the winter?

(Monadnock photo, from Matthew Gemmell's flickr)

(And winter is coming.)

No comments:

Post a Comment