Sunday, November 7, 2010

Montage of Awesome Things

I don't know where my camera is, otherwise I might be posting photos from last weekend's hike through the Middlesex Fells.  In lieu of hike photos, I'll be posting some awesome things for your perusal!

1. Fun fact that will blow your mind: you know the wake that forms behind boats traveling in deep water?  This kind of wake:


It turns out that all wakes formed behind boats in deep water have the same angular measure, 39 degrees, regardless of the speed of the boat!  Cool, huh?  This angle was first calculated by Lord Kelvin, and the wake shape is thus called Kelvin's Wedge.  I'll be studying it for my final applied math project.


2. I want to make a dessert called a cherpumple, the turducken of dessert foods.  It's three pies baked into three layers of a cake.  Watch the video here, it's quite excellent!  Anyone want to help me make one?  Maybe my friends over at Unwholesome Foods will help...

3. This is one of my favorite videos of the month.  It's courtesy of Ken, who sent it my way (as is the last video, actually).  It's a video of people repelling down into an active volcano.  Check it out, it's awesome :)

4. This week I learned that the Norwegian word for sorcerer is "trollmann."

5. Here are some assorted pretty pictures to start off your week, and to get you excited for winter. :)





Happy November!

4 comments:

  1. Speaking of montages of awesome, here's a montage of people doing awesome things that made the Twitter rounds a couple weeks back:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0Cazxj_yc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's awesome. Thanks for posting, that made my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for promoting one of my shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! Thanks for making it public!

    ReplyDelete